[GRASSLIST:9319] Re: draw line from (x,y) point and bearing [solved: new module]

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Dec 5 21:38:50 EST 2005

> From: Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>
> Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:27:33 +1300
> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Cc: <werchowyna at epf.pl>, <dylan.beaudette at gmail.com>, <GRASSLIST at baylor.edu>,
> <neteler at itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASSLIST:9305] Re: draw line from (x,y) point and bearing
> [solved: new module]
>
>> Maybe a better idea is to make this function a flag of r.transect. Or
>> even better, merge r.transect and r.profile, and make the vector
>> output line a flag. What do you think?
>
> fyi, r.transect is already just a simple frontend to r.profile.

Right. This is why I suggested that they might be merged.

> You can use the -g flag to get geographic coordinates (which can be fed
> into v.in.ascii, either as points or form a line from the verticies*),
> and the -c flag to get a GRASSRGB column for filling color (or other
> thematic use).
>
> [*] see v.in.garmin script
>
> Make the segment distance longer than your line length, and you get end
> point coordinates from a dist,azimuth. (?)

Wouldn't it make sense to put all this together into a module rather than
having several partly overlapping ones? Seems it would be more functional in
that case too. I don't know how much work it would be though.

Michael

> Hamish

Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402