[GRASSLIST:9436] v.extract and vector table

Nick Cahill ndcahill at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 13 04:29:09 EST 2005

I'm trying to dissolve the boundaries between adjacent areas which
have common attributes in their vector database. I understand that
the best tool for this is v.extract. The maps are derived from vmap0
political boundary coverages; the problem with these is that the maps
were tiled, so regions span across adjacent ex-tiles, with the same
names and other attributes. I'd like to end up with a single area and
centroid for each region, with the original database attributes.

As a test I tried it with one regional unit, BURDUR. If I run

v.extract input=polbndr output=burdur
type=point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face layer=1 new=-1
where=a_nam='BURDUR' -d

with new=-1, it doesn't merge the two areas because the category
values are different in the two areas. So I try assigning a new
category:

v.extract input=polbndr output=burdur2
type=point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face layer=1 new=500
where=a_nam='BURDUR' -d

This merges the vectors properly, but this doesn't seem to create a
new table for the newly created vector. The centroid has the proper
category, but there is no table associated. Do I have to create a new
table by hand and then link the vector to this table? Or is there an
easier way to do this? I don't look forward to doing each
administrative unit which spans different tiles on these vmap0 maps.

Nick Cahill