[GRASSLIST:9441] Re: Rasters not displaying from old (Windows) Gr ass Projects

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Tue Dec 13 09:18:26 EST 2005

>Just a guess, but rasters may need converting from DOS format (CR+LF at
>ends of lines)  to Unix (LF only).  Try using -a as a parameter to unzip
>in Linux, or running dos2unix on the raster files.

>Chris

Chris, I tried the -a switch on gunzip, but that isn't supported on Ubuntu.

Glynn, the filesizes look fine - all rasters are several MB (normal sized).

Do I run dos2unix on every single file in every directory in my location? Or
could I tar the whole location and run that tarfile through dos2unix? I
tried that for fun, but I get an'Error exit delayed from previous errors'
when dos2unix runs on my tarfile. Does it make sense to run a dos -> unix
ascii convertor on Grass rasters? Aren't they in binary format?

Here's another clue - When to display any raster, I get the following error
message:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (Canso):~/Projects/Canso/PERMANENT > Monitor <x0>: Premature
EOF

I thought maybe I would try to tar the location, ftp it to another Linux
workstation running Grass 5.3, and see if I could display the rasters there.
All rasters display fine. So I have the situation where:

Cygwin Grass 6.1cvs ---> Ubuntu Grass 6.1cvs = rasters broken, vectors OK
Cygwin Grass 6.1cvs ---> Red Hat Grass 5.3 = rasters OK, 6.1 vectors don't
display on 5.3 (which is normal)

I really need a way of getting all my Cygwin work running OK on Ubuntu,
because I've passed the point of no return in terms of getting this data
worked up do this level - I definitely can't
do it all over again.

~ Eric.