[GRASSLIST:9449] Re: DBMI errors with MySQL tables [new MySQL driver]

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 15:25:12 EST 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 12:15 am, Radim Blazek wrote:
> On 12/13/05, Dylan Beaudette <dylan.beaudette at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ./db/drivers/mysql/table.c:113:    G_debug(3, "load_table()");
> > ./db/drivers/mysql/table.c:117:    G_debug(3, "load_table() - not
> > loaded"); ./db/drivers/mysql/table.c:193: G_debug(3, "load_table() -
> > number of cols is %d", db.tables[t].ncols);
> >
> > Not sure how to interpret these debug messages...
> >
> > Further ideas? maybe we are getting closer...?
>
> The mysql driver is a quick hack which was written by somebody as
> copy-and-paste from dbf which is completely wrong (loading tables
> to memery instead of mysql_fetch_field_direct fro each db_fetch etc.)
> + practicaly it is not maintained few years.
> It should be completely rewritten.
>
> Radim

Radim,

Thank you for the information on this. Any ideas on what it would take to get
a better functioning MySQL driver? I am not sure that I would have the time
or technical ability to do it myself- but I would be quite willing to help
out on the development of a more robust driver. I use MySQL for all of my
research, and if the interface to GRASS is less than stellar - then I need to
make some choices. I have a rather complete reference for the MySQL 4.1 C API
that might help out.

>From my perspective it is quite a daunting task do try and accomplish on my
own.

Anyone else interested in helping?