[GRASSLIST:9563] Re: icons

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 18:30:37 EST 2005

> A thought I've had in talking with Benjamin Ducke, who is working on
> the GRASS Extension Manager.
>
> Custom extensions and icons located in the $GISBASE directory
> structure risk getting overwritten, especially if you are installing
> binaries.

also the user may not have write permission to the $GISBASE dir.
(e.g. thin client lab install)

> What about putting such things in a GRASS_custom directory within a
> user's home directory? The location of a GRASS_custom directory could
> be specified in the .grassrc6 file.

see lib/symbol/read.c

"S_read() searches first in mapsets (standard GRASS search) and then in
GISBASE/etc/symbol/"

So there is already some support for this.

Install custom icons qw $MAPSET/symbol/group/icon

using "icon=custom/icon at other_mapset" would work to access an icon
not in your map search path as well. (see g.mapsets)

If you want to maintain one set for different locations, you'd have to
symlink from each PERMANENT/symbol/ ...

**BUT** currently d.vect blocks using local symbols due to its
icon_files() check. I'm pretty sure ps.map is ok.

d.vect's icon_files() needs to be fixed or disabled. (creating a list of
available icons should probably be a S_() fn anyway??)

Disabling it would kill the pulldown list in the GUI (not good);
so icon_files() really needs to be fixed to scan the mapset path too.

Or listing available files could be added as a flag? d.vect is already
so complicated I don't like adding more options/flags to it. Also this
doesn't help the GUI pulldown menu.

Hamish