[GRASSLIST:9597] Using unixODBC to connect GRASS to MySQL

Nila Kreidich nila at theblizz.com
Wed Dec 21 16:53:04 EST 2005

Hello,

I am currently using Mac OS X 10.4.3 and GRASS 6.1.cvs.  After having
major problems using the MySQL driver in GRASS I have decided to try
using unixODBC to connect GRASS to MySQL.  However, I can not figure
out how to call the DSN using db.connect and db.login.  In short this
is what I have been able to do:

1. Downloaded the MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51.12 for OS X
       http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html

2. Used this web link to figure out how to configure a myodbc dsn on
Unix

      http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/dsn-on-unix.html

[I am not sure if I configured the myodbc DSN correctly.  I am still
not sure how to correctly manipulate the odbc.ini.]

3.  I then went to the X11 terminal to change the database settings
in GRASS and set them to use odbc driver.

db.login driver=odbc database="host=localhost,dbname=GRASS2"
user=root password="

  db.connect driver=odbc database=GRASS2 username=root
  Sorry, <username> is not a valid parameter

GRASS 6.1.cvs (san_joaquin2):~ > db.tables -p
DBMI-ODBC driver error: SQLConnect():
[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
driver specified (0)

or I get this error

GRASS 6.1.cvs (san_joaquin2):~ > db.tables -p
DBMI-MYSQL driver error: mysql_real_connect() error (1044): Access
denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'grass2'

I am not calling the DSN correctly.  Any suggestions!!!

Thank you,

Nila Kreidich

Graduate Student Researcher
UC Davis Department of Hydrology