[GRASSLIST:9621] Re: Using unixODBC to connect GRASS to MySQL [Mac] - please test iODBC anyone

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Dec 23 01:25:11 EST 2005

I poked around at OpenLink. It looks like their ODBC Administrator is
available in their Driver Manager SDK.  It seems to be a free
download, I just wasn't ready to fill in all the registration stuff
yet to be able to download it.

I'll have to bug my boss about upgrading our old FM 5.5 so I can try
this first-hand.  Tho this would be FM 8.  Or maybe someone with FM
Server 7 or 8 can share a database on the net for testing purposes.

On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:40 PM, Nick Cahill wrote:

> Yes, I found that documentation too, and followed it - plain ASCII,
> Host, Port, ServerDataSource, path to the internals of the bundled
> driver. They say that the OpenLink ODBC Administrator can test
> whether the connection is set up correctly, but the built-in Mac
> OSX version doesn't seem to have that capability; and I can't find
> the OpenLink version on the web. So I can't check whether things
> are working properly from the Filemaker/FM ODBC end. The error
> messages in db.test and db.describe seem to suggest that GRASS is
> seeing the SequeLink driver but getting no further with that -
> which might suggest that my ODBC setup isn't working right. Is
> there another way to test it?
>
> I remember reading Lorenzo's message about problems with GRASS ODBC
> some months ago when this came up - Kurt Springs was particularly
> interested in this possibility. I think it would be a big plus to
> GRASS if it could access Filemaker databases. I suspect I'm not
> alone in having a lot of useful data in Filemaker, and not wanting
> to maintain that in two different databases.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick
>

> On Dec 23, 2005, at 1:39 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> I found the FileMaker documentation PDFs at the FileMaker site, so
>> now I have a beter understanding of this.  When you setup the DSN,
>> did you specify the Host, Port and ServerDataSource as Keywords?
>> That error below implies that at least the Host (should be
>> localhost) is missing in the DSN.
>>
>> Also, they mention that only plain ASCII is supported in DB
>> filenames (no accents or unicode).  What it doesn't say is that
>> probably also applies to the whole path to the database.
>>
>> If you're already in holiday mode, Merry Xmas and I'll probably
>> hear from you next week.
>>

>> On Dec 22, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Nick Cahill wrote:
>>
>>> I hadn't set up Filemaker with any user or password protection; I
>>> added that, ran it through db.login, and it still didn't work.
>>>
>>> I added the port to the Firewall, and then just turned the
>>> firewall off; still no luck.
>>>
>>> Tried db.describe:
>>>
>>> db.describe table=ODBCTestTable driver=odbc database=ODBCTest
>>> DBMI-ODBC driver error: SQLConnect():
>>> [DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][SequeLink Client]TCP/IP host
>>> is not specified. (5154)
>>>

>>> I'll have to go read up on ODBC, but not til after Christmas.
>>> Merry Christmas to all --
>>>

>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> "Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
>> fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would
>> not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures
>> of weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that
>> make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief
>> that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real
>> pleasures of existence....

> [...]

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro