[GRASSLIST:9671] Re: lamer question - ( and sorry for bad posting to developers list)

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Thu Dec 29 14:48:10 EST 2005

On czw, 2005-12-29 at 19:59 +0100, Robert Kuszinger wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm using grass 6.1 CVS for a while and I love it - I've been teaching
> ARC/INFO for years, but 10 years
> ago on UNIX systems - I'm just happy to see that there is still a
> system with command line and
> scripting possibilities.
>
> However, I'm just not able to figure out how to cut a raster image
> (subset, crop).

zoom in to the region of interest:
1. interactive d.zoom - beware of a bug:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2005-December/031624.html
2. manual with g.region

use r.mapcalc to extract this fragment into a new layer

> I have a huge DTM and I woud like to get a portion of it.
> I need to cut it by co-ordinates. I know that it should be simple but
> I'm afraid I still doesn't have
> the "GRASS mind" enough which may be needed. :)
>
> (Oh - another point, the projection systems and their management in
> grass - wow! That's it :) really great!)
>

> Is there any guidebook out there with general howto-s?
Several of them in http://grass.itc.it/gdp/index.php

Wellcome to Grass!

Cheers
Maciek