[GRASSLIST:5627] Re: Libraries

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at pf.pl
Thu Feb 3 14:01:33 EST 2005

From: "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>

>> I am running mandrake 10 linux and my
>> question is  where do i get the needed libraries:
>>
>>   libpq, libproj, libgdal , xterm, tcl, tk, gdaltools, libfftw, etc.
>>
>> or more precisely how would I now it they are already installed, where
>>
>> should i look for and if they are not installed, where/how do I get
>> them.
> links on this page:
> http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass51/REQUIREMENTS.html
>

> I do not know which Mandrake packages supply these; there used to be a
> GRASS package in the Mandrake cooker, maybe check that for dependancies.
> (or someone else knows)
>
> Hamish

I work on Mandrake 10.1.

Check if are installed via the rpmdrake uninstall GUI. If are available for
install - via the the install GUI.

Some of those packages you mention will be available if you setup an ftp
contrib repository (urpmi.addmedia or again rpmdrake appropriate GUI). If
you don't have a reasonable net connetction, like me :(((, you can download
the whole contrib once you put your hands on a fast net and burn the suff on
a DVD and, again, use urpmi.addmedia on it. If no DVD recorder at hand, like
in my case :(((, but not for long :))), you can still use CDs - portion the
contrib stuff into ~700MB bids (*only* the rpms in that case, omit all the
syntheses etc.), should be 5 or 6 discs, and burn. Add each to urpmi
database with urpmi.addmedia --no-probe. All the emerging dependences will
be automatically solved including these new repositories.

And if you wish to build from source and frequently update you Linux GIS
stuff from CVS, a good idea is checkinstall (you'll need to install it first
from a contrib repository; I don't know abou 10.0 but for 10.1 it is
availbale) instead of "make install". It automaticaly builds rpms (and debs
if needed) from the "make" output - so you'll be able to manage your
programs easily with rpm command. Works nice so far with all Grass, Gdal,
GEOS, Qgis, Hdf4 and Proj versions I tried.

Good luck!
Maciek