[GRASSLIST:5653] NVIZ segfault

Carl Brown cbsled at verizon.net
Sat Feb 5 17:38:46 EST 2005

On a fresh debian sarge install this time,
using GRASS 6.0.0 compiled on this system.
This same segfault has occurred on this system with all of the following GRASS
versions:
5.0.3 deb package from debian stable
5.3 built from source
5.7 built from source
6.0 built from source
The problem has now occurred using two different video cards and xservers.
It is always the same: NVIZ starts, and runs through it's initialization
routines. It opens the display window which contains an image. Then when it
should be opening the "toplevel" window, all nviz windows silently disappear,
leaving no trace of any error in any logfile that I have been able to find.
Formerly, there would be a "segmentation violation" returned if nviz was
launched from the commandline.

I recently received an email from someone who has this same problem on two
different systems, one laptop and one desktop.

That the problem can be reproduced from the debian _stable_ package should
rule out OpenGL/Mesa problems, among other things, unless the dependencies in
the package are wrong, which seems unlikely.

Any suggestions or wild guesses would be greatly appreciated.

--
Carl Brown
Whitefield, NH USA