[GRASSLIST:5658] Re: Creating DTM from shapefiles

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Feb 6 19:55:30 EST 2005

Maciek,

Not to worry. GRASS is a BIG program and hard to know what everything
does--especially across 2 versions. However, I've run into the same problem
recently and so have been testing various options of patching.

I *think* the script lets you patch points, lines, or areas (there is a
selection pull-down to choose). I also *think* it preserves the attribute
files. I don't know how it combines them however, especially if they have
different fields. It uses ogr2ogr, so the documentation to that may help--or
just a bit of trial and error.

I wrote it on a plane to a meeting in Washington, DC and so haven't had time
to test it much. I also need to add a brief routine at the end to clean up
the temporary files it makes and ask someone to test it for temp file
security (assuming I write the routine to delete the temporary files). But
it does show the advantages of using even simple shell scripting in GRASS.
The ease of making a nice GUI interface in scripts is thanks to Radim and
Markus.

Michael
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University