[GRASSLIST:5689] Re: GRASS in old hardware

Jack Varga jvarga at boulder.net
Wed Feb 9 04:36:17 EST 2005

For my money, hands down that would be Debian.  Debian's package manager
(apt-get) is much more effective (IMO) at controlling not installing
what you don't specifically request, particularly all the fluff that the
other distros load by default, (as I close my Tux Racer and Frozen
Bubbles windows).

You should consider compiling your own kernel, removing kernel drivers
you don't absolutely need and compiling kernel modules for what you do
need (when you can).  You'll likely want a small/compact kernel image
(bzipped) so you can squeeze it into your available memory.

And as for Grass, same goes.  Don't include anything you don't need.
Doesn't take much to create race conditions with 64mb.  Don't create too
big a swap partition either.  Also, I would recommend using a window
manager (assuming you'll be running X) that doesn't eat up cpu cycles
like KDE and/or Gnome.