[GRASSLIST:5699] Re: 6.0beta2: Input sites?

Jose Luis Gomez Dans jgomezdans at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 12:05:57 EST 2005

Some extra information:
I think this problem might be memory related. The
following input works
as expected:
head -n $N XXXX.xyz | v.in.ascii output=xxxx_s x=1 y=2
z=3 columns='x
double, y double, z double, tol double' cat=0 -z
If I set $N to 200000, it works. The memory usage
jumps to around 75% of
my memory (512Mb), but it works, which in other words
means that v.info
map=XXXX -c returns:
INTEGER|cat
DOUBLE PRECISION|x
DOUBLE PRECISION|y
DOUBLE PRECISION|z
DOUBLE PRECISION|tol

as expected. However, If I want to import my
collection of points, disk
swapping occurs (Debian Linux, btw), and it takes
forever. Then, my
problems (as described in my previous message) arise.

Looking at the output from top, it appears that the
memory hungry
program is dbf, which behaves for smaller number of
points.

A temporary work-around (assuming that it is indeed
memory that's
corrupting something) would be to load the files by
bits, and then
paste them together, but I don't know how to do this
(no v.* command
seems appropriate).

In 5.7 (mandrake), I can load the file without dbf
taking over my whole
memory.

Any ideas?
Many thanks
Jose
--
Jose L Gomez-Dans, Research Assistant
Bristol Glaciology Centre, Geographical Sciences/CPOM