[GRASSLIST:5792] Re: GRASS Novice Needs Help

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 15 15:52:03 EST 2005

John, I will try to explain my reasoning a little more clearly.  Now
then, I could be wrong, but hopefully if someone else sees that I am
leading you astray, they will chime in to this thread.

1)	OK, I was trying to say that it sounds like your reprojection with
r.proj is not going to work because your regions don't match in between
your two locations.  To reproject something from location 1 to location
2, you need to have the region in location 2 contain the coordinates of
your raster from location 1.  For example, you are trying to project a
raster with bounding coord's of
north:      52.3
south:      52.15
west:       -7.4
east:       -6.85

into a location with coord's of

north:      54N
south:      52N
west:       9W
east:       5W

Normally this would work.  However your coord's from the first location
are not 52.3 degrees north to 52.15 degrees south, etc.  They are 52.3
METERS north of the equator (or whatever the origin is for Irish grid),
and -7.4 METERS west of the central meridian.  Therefore your region in
your latlong location does not contain the coordinates of your raster
from your irish grid location.  Following along these lines, I think
your raster is georeferenced incorrectly in your Irish grid location.

Now then, if I understand what you are doing (taking a
non-georeferenced raster image, and converting it into a georeferenced
raster image such as a geotiff), here is the approach I would take.

Make an XY location, and import your nongeoreferenced rasters.  Make a
new location with projection parameters that match your final desired
product.  Go to the XY location, and use i.group, i.target, i.points,
i.rectify.  Open up your second location, and export your rasters with
r.out.gdal.

2) It sounds like you are also having problems with the edges of your
rasters, and you would like to crop them, and or patch them together to
get rid of these blemishes.  If you use r.patch, make sure that the
first map listed in input= is the top map.  If you want to crop the
maps, just set your region to the raster with g.region rast=your_rast.
Then run d.zoom, and zoom into the region that you want to be the new
'cropped' raster.  Exit d.zoom, and run r.mapcalc
your_newrast=your_rast.  This will give you a cropped map based on the
extent of the region settings.

Hope this helps
-Ian