[GRASSLIST:5796] Re: GRASS Novice Needs Help

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 20:05:24 EST 2005

> I'm currently getting the error 'Input map is outside current region',
>
> here are the regions,
>

> Firstly the Irish Grid.
> projection: 99 (Transverse Mercator)
> zone:       0
> datum:      ire65
> ellipsoid:  modif_airy
> north:      52.3
> south:      52.15
> west:       -7.4
> east:       -6.85

[as noted, there are wrong; what does "gdalinfo" say about the TIFF?
 are you sure the TIFF isn't starting out in lat/lon already?]

> nsres:      0.15
> ewres:      0.55
> rows:       1
> cols:       1

so resolution is 15cm x 55cm and everything is contained in one single
data cell.

> The Lat/Long region (bigger than the one above I think)
> g.region -p
> projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
> zone:       0
> datum:      wgs84
> ellipsoid:  wgs84
> north:      54N
> south:      52N
> west:       9W
> east:       5W
> nsres:      0:00:00.187198
> ewres:      0:00:00.1872
> rows:       38462
> cols:       76923

38462 rows X 76923 columns! You've chosen a very large area of land to
map out a 5m resolution!

To patch:

g.region rast=map1,map2
 ## strech region to contain both maps

r.patch in=map1,map2 out=map1_2

> And I'm stuck... as I've really got no idea what I'm doing here any
> help would be appreciated.

Have you tried the tutorials?
http://grass.ibiblio.org/ and follow the links... also have a look on
the Wiki.