[GRASSLIST:5864] Re: Problem installing grass-6.0.0beta2

David Adam david at quercus.org
Mon Feb 21 10:24:22 EST 2005

Jack Varga wrote:

> It's looking for Proj4 headers which it sounds like you don't have.
> Most everyone needs a projection engine. Unless you're certain you
> don't, I'd start there (download and install proj4).  Otherwise, there
> may be a configure command line option to disable Proj4 sharing,
> although I can't specifically find one.  You may want to try executing
> './configure ' with the '--disable-proj' &/or '--without-proj' options
> set.
>
> On the other hand, Grass may have a dependency on proj4 and can't be
> compiled without it.  You can dig around the grass site(s) to see if
> that's the case, or format another question to the list.  I wouldn't
> be surprised if that's the case.
>
> I suspect that if you don't have proj4, you probably don't have
> gdal/ogr, perhaps libgeotiff and some other important libraries?
>

> David Adam wrote:
>
>> Greetings!
>> I'm trying to install grass-6.0.0beta2 on a Fedora3 system, and the
>> configure
>> program stops with the error
>>
>> checking for location of External PROJ.4 includes...
>> checking for proj_api.h... no
>> configure: error: *** Unable to locate External PROJ.4 includes.
>>
>> The file was not part of the download; however, there is a file
>> named "gproj_api.h" in the include subdirectory.  Is this the file I
>> need?  Can I simply list the proj_api.h filename to that file?
>>
>> Any advice is welcome...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> da
>
> *
>
> *

Thanks for the help so far!  I have installed the various libraries and
the program,
which so far works only a little bit.  When I start the program with the
Spearfish
data set, I get a quick look at a very early map, and then the message:

GRASS 6.0.0beta2:/home/david > Error in startup script: ps.map: error
while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory
    while executing
"exec ps.map -p"
    (procedure "DmPrint::init" line 14)
    invoked from within
"DmPrint::init"
    (procedure "main" line 31)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv"
    (file "/usr/local/grass-6.0.0beta2/etc/dm/d.m.tcl" line 891)
*
*The* **libgdal.so.1 *file does exist, at /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so.1,
so I apparently need
to modify a search path somewhere, but cannot find anything in the
docs.  Can anyone
help me out?  TIA

david