[GRASSLIST:5891] Re: problems with grass6beta2 and R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Feb 23 13:39:16 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Carlos Henrique Grohmann wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> is there anything wrong about grass6 and R?

This has now been raised many times. The GRASS/R interface was broken by
the imposition of 3D windows in GRASS 6 (and sites have gone away too). It
is reported to work with the interp= argument set to TRUE, that is, not
using the compiled interface, but exchanging text files. Please note the
full title of the GRASS package in R: "Interface between GRASS 5.0
geographical information system and R" - in fact 5.4 still works as
designed, but 6.0 does not.

I am open to offers of help to rectify this, and suggested doing this on
sourceforge so that others can contribute.  Many users depend on GRASS 5
and the interface, so the current structure must be maintained;
development of a 6.0 version can be done, but needs contributions from
people actually using 6.0 and willing to help replace the sites functions
and write vector functions.

> I tried to run it today and look what I get:
>

> > library(GRASS)
> GRASS environment variables in: /tmp/grass6-guano-5178/gisrc
> > G<-gmeta()
> Error in gmeta() : Bad or no region for current mapset
> >

> I installed the R GRASS package with:
> > R CMD INSTALL --configure-args=--grass5=/usr/local/bin/grass60
> GRASS_0.2-23.tar.gz

The "--configure-args=--grass5=/usr/local/bin/grass60" have been
redundant for about three years, by the way, because the package contains
copies of GRASS library source files for 5.* raster and sites access, and
so does *not* link to binary libraries (this was a problem on cygwin at
the time).

Roger Bivand

> any ideas?
>
> thanks

>           Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
>    Geologist M.Sc - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
>         Linux User #89721  - guano at usp dot br

Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no