[GRASSLIST:5945] Re: oblique photography

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Mon Feb 28 22:46:50 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:30:44 +0100
Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 12:52:15AM -0700, Trevor Wiens wrote:
> > Does anyone have any experience using oblique images from known locations (2 or more cameras at different locations) to extract 2 and 3 d information?
> >
> > The intended application would be to track fire growth and expansion over time.
> >

> Nothing helpful, but we have at least extended the i.ortho.photo procedure to
> geocode oblique imagery:
>
> - M. Neteler, D. Grasso, I. Michelazzi, L. Miori, S. Merler, and C. Furlanello. New image
>   processing tools for GRASS. In Proc. Free/Libre and Open Source Software for Geoinformatics:
>   GIS-GRASS Users Conference 2004, Sept. 12-14, Bangkok, Thailand, 2004.
>   http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/viewpaper.php?id=37
>
> - M. Neteler, D. Grasso, I. Michelazzi, L. Miori, S. Merler, and C. Furlanello, 2005,
>   An integrated toolbox for image registration, fusion and classification.
>   International Journal of Geoinformatics, Special Issue
>   on FOSS/GRASS 2004 & GIS-IDEAS 2004 (in press)
>
> On top of the geocoded imagery one could think of developing something maytbe
> with r.series etc.

Thanks. This would be helpful for 2-d data, but for objects like smoke plumes, I'm not sure how this could work. Since posting the question on the list, I've run across the Stereo application that appears to have sat dormant for some years. A collegue and I are going to redo the interface in PyQt and keep most of the underlying C code for camera calibration, coordinate tranformation, etc. The planned output will be tab delimited ascii files. The long term plan is to incorporate Deluany Triangulation code to export 3-d objects rather than just point clouds. Once this work is running we will set up a small website for the project in the event that others want to use or develop it further.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)