[GRASSLIST:5307] Re: [GRASS5] weather simbols???

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 01:03:25 EST 2005

> How i can put meteorological simbols in the maps
> (layers of GRASS)??? (rain, streamlines, snow, storm,
> fog, etc)

GRASS 5.7:

create sun, rain, etc symbols with ???.
 [I'm not sure if this is actually documented anywhere? should be]

see the files in $GISBASE/etc/symbol/ anyway.

then create a vector points file containing location and conditions
columns, perhaps from a text file with v.in.ascii.

d.vect icon=met/rain where="conditions='rain'"
d.vect icon=met/sun where="conditions='sunny'"

new symbols glady accepted.

Drawing wind barbs from vector points file attributes would be a nice
task for someone. The GRASS display library isn't too horrible to use;
see the programmers' manual. It should be fairly straight forward
(ie non-eulerian view; regularly spaced barbs auto-generated from raster
analysis maps might be harder, but doable).

v.surt.rst + r.contour might be useful for making isobars.

see also v.label, ps.map, d.graph, and d.mapgraph.

Hamish