[GRASSLIST:5390] Script to 'sample' several grids with result saved to text output?

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Mon Jan 17 09:59:03 EST 2005

Dear R-geo and GRASS users,

-Before trying to reinvent the wheel I would like to check whether
someone has tried this before.-

I have several rasters with environmental data. I also have point data,
representing animal locations (collected with GPS collars).

I would like to use GRASS to 'sample' (apologies for the ArcInfo AML
terminology, but it might help people to get what I need) the rasters
with the point data and save the results in a text file for further
analysis with R.

The resulting text file should contain a field/attribute of my choice
from the points data file (some sort of ID for each point) and a
field/attribute for each of the sampled rasters.

Preferably I would use an R script that calls GRASS, as both point data
collection and further analysis is done within R. However a GRASS script
working on input and output text files might also be sufficient.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Sander Oom.

PS: I am a total novice with GRASS.