[GRASSLIST:7465] "Illegal latitude" problem

Gregory Booma gcb2101 at columbia.edu
Tue Jul 5 18:03:16 EDT 2005

Grasslist:

I've encountered a strange problem in r.in.gdal where I get the
following error:

"WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for South"

What I did was:

"GRASS 6.0.0 (GL1KMWGS84):~/DATA/GL1KMWGS84/PERMANENT > r.in.gdal
-oe o10g out=o10g"

This is especially strange because I'm converting GLOBE DEM tiles,
four of which share the same south latitude, and no others produce
this error.

Here's the script I used to batch-convert:

"for all in `ls *.gz`
do
   gzip=`echo "$all"`
   out=`echo $gzip | cut -b1-4`

   gunzip $gzip

   r.in.gdal -oe $out out=$out

done"

...and progress reported:

"[...]Over-riding projection check.
Proceeding with import...
 100%
CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR m10g
Over-riding projection check.
Proceeding with import...
 100%
CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR n10g
Over-riding projection check.
Proceeding with import...
WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for South
Over-riding projection check.
Proceeding with import...
 100%
CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR p10g"

I'm using Lorenzo Moretti's Grass 6.0.0-1 on OSX 10.3.9.

Incidentally, I got the same error for North latitude when trying to
convert the global GLCF SRTM-GTOPO30 mosaic (GeoTiff), as well as an
in-house global elevation grid (Arc/Info, not sure of original
source).

Has anyone seen this before and come-up with a fix?

Many thanks in advance,

Greg Booma
CIESIN - Columbia University