[GRASSLIST:7491] Re: First reactions

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Thu Jul 7 13:37:52 EDT 2005

Mr. Horning,

Thank you for sharing your comments and observations. This kind of feedback is interesting to me as user, but it also probably helpful to the developers as well. I'm not on the GRASS development team, but you mentioned target audience and I think that the target audience for many GRASS developers, is themselves and other serious GIS users. With the advent of applications such as OpenEV and QGIS, the pressure for GRASS to be accessible to the naive user has lessened and although there have been great strides toward improving the ease of use of GRASS, it seems to me that the core effort has been to improve some of the backend power, such as the improved vector format and capabilities in version 6. Some of the features in GRASS that are helpful to the serious user are incovenient to the casual user, but I hope that these will not be sacrificed, as there is other sofware out there to support casual users. I think many GRASS users have both QGIS and GRASS on their systems along w!
 ith GMT and possibly OSSIM and PostGIS and use each application as is best suited. Personally I'm very impressed with the cooperative efforts between the GRASS and QGIS development teams and having products that work in a complimentary fashion is in my opinion a much more realistic goal that creating a single monolithic application that does everything for everyone.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
(Daniel J. Boorstin)