[GRASSLIST:7498] Re: Newbie having trouble starting GRASS...

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 20:52:10 EDT 2005

> I'm having some trouble getting GRASS fired up. I am new to Linux and
> GRASS, so I appreciate your patience with my efforts to get GRASS
> running successfully.
>
> I'm running Debian Sarge, and I've installed GRASS 6.0.0.

(from the debian package I assume)

Lots of people are using this setup (including me) without problems.

> I followed the direction in the GRASS tutorials, and set up the
> following folder to hold my GRASS Databases/Data:
>
> /home/linuxuser/GRASS/GRASSDATA
>
> When I start GRASS, I enter the following information in the
> "Database:" text box of the dialog:
>
> /home/linuxuser/GRASS/GRASSDATA
>
> I then click the "Create Location From ESPG", and enter the
> appropriate ESPG code.
>
> GRASS then automatically shutsdown.
>
> When I restart GRASS, I select the following information in the
> dialog:
>
> Location: New Location
> Map Set: PERMANENT

(best to make a working mapset rather than using PERMANENT)

> I then click the "Enter GRASS" button.
>
> When I do so the splash screen displays, and after waiting a few
> seconds I see "done" in the top right corner of the splash screen.
> However, the splash screen disappears and nothing else happens.
> Alt-Tab does not bring up any minimized or hidden windows.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Hard to say.

Start grass from a terminal window (just type grass at the prompt) and
see what happens that way. If it still fails try starting in text mode
by typing 'grass -text' at the terminal prompt. If GRASS starts, type
"d.m &" at the prompt to start up the GUI. Starting up this way should
give you some clues as to what went wrong. Restart GRASS with
'grass -gui' to get it to start in GUI mode again. If it still doesn't
work, file a bug against the Debian package.

Alt-tab won't do anything unless you've gone into the key bindings
config and set up Gnome/KDE/whatever to respect that.

> Am I supposed to see something after the splash screen displays.

The GIS manager window should show up as well as a terminal window.

--

Folks: the tcl/tk 8.3 vs 8.4 issue only has to do with NVIZ, and then
mostly only seen on Debian. The d.m GIS manager stuff should be fine.

Hamish