[GRASSLIST:7573] New GRASS Users group (Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA)

Dave Sampson gis at watersheds.ca
Sun Jul 17 11:50:27 EDT 2005

*Attention Ottawa area GRASS Users*

OGUG is Ottawa's GRASS (GIS) Users Group.  Although we have members from
Toronto, and as far away as California OGUG was started in the hopes of
forming a local community of GRASS users to learn about GRASS and arange
joint projects. We invite all users of GRASS and GFOSS in the Ottawa
Area to join in. If you want sugestions on how to start your own local
GRASS community contact us for some pointers and encouragement.

We represent users from:
--------------------------
* Public Sector
* Private Sector
* Not-For-Profit
* Research / Academic communities

OGUG Purpose:
-----------------
OGUG focuses its efforts in three capacities to develop of GRASS users
community. First we focus on the use and aplication of GRASS as part of
a general GIS workflow or a tool on its own. Second, we aim to provide
introductory and advanced hands-on support and training to our members
through workshops and seminars. Third we aim to create opportunities for
colaborative projects.

OGUG will strive to develop some on-line resources such as the materials
covered in a workshop or seminar (Copyrights permiting).

OGUG is NOT intended as a source of technical knowledge for development,
programming or troubleshooting GRASS. Our discussions will generaly NOT
cover installation issues, compiling woes, discussion of how to develop
a particular modual, or development support. These issues should and
will be directed to the appropriate mailing lists containing the propper
resources.

What OGUG offers:
----------------------
* *Monthly meetings:* starting with a seminar or workshop and ending
with a pint (or other Beverage) and networking
* *Introductory workshops:* GRASS from the roots up (beginers), QGIS as
an interface
* *Advanced Workshops:* GRASS and; R-stats, postgres, mapserver, etc
* *Project Colaboration:* eg. developing university curriculum,
instructing field studies GIS, building local datasets (similar to
spearfish for the Ottawa region)
* *GFOSS integration:* We will be exploring how other GFOSS can be
integrated into a full GIS production chain.

OGUG Communications

Next OGUG Meeting: