[GRASSLIST:7609] Re: color balancing in mosaic

Jonathan Greenberg jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 18 18:18:58 EDT 2005

Feng:

	The "official" way you can do this (this will work for "true"
radiometric normalization so, by definition, will work for the "photo"
normalization) is using image-to-image empirical line.  Here's the basic
idea (I have no idea how to do this in GRASS, by the way, maybe someone can
translate these instructions into GRASS capabilities or, if any programmers
are interested, I can help direct the development of an add-on to GRASS):

1) Make sure your images are georegistered to one another (they should be if
you want to mosaick anyway).
2) Pick 10-50 locations of varying brightness in the overlap regions between
two images.
3) Choose one of the two images as the "reference image".  I'll refer to the
other overlapping image as the uncalibrated image.
4) For each band (in your case, probably R G B), do a linear regression
between reference image pixels and the corresponding uncalibrated image
pixels.
5) (Optional) Remove any outliers in the analysis.
6) You now have a slope and offset coefficient that you can apply to the
uncalibrated image which will now radiometrically register this with the
reference image.

Voila!

--j