[GRASSLIST:7681] Re: GRASS 6 extension manager second release!

benducke at compuserve.de benducke at compuserve.de
Fri Jul 22 11:14:01 EDT 2005

I wrote that program because I found it very hard to share
GRASS modules I wrote with other people:
Basically, to get new modules into GRASS, you have to have a complete
copy of the GRASS source code tree on your harddisk.
You then have to know where to copy the code for the new
modules into that tree and how to start the GRASS compilation
process. To get new HTML manpages into place, you have to
re-install the entire GRASS distribution. To get your new
modules integrated into GIS-Manager, you have to edit menu.tcl
by hand. You have to have a complete GNU C compiler with maketools
installed on your system.
Basically, all these requirements forced me to personally visit
all those people interested in my programs and install everything
from scratch. Updates were a nightmare ...

The GRASS Extensions Manager (GEM) is intended to change all
that. Once it is installed on a user's system, new GRASS modules
can be installed using a simple command line application.
The code for the new modules is packaged along with documentation
in an extension archive and can be installed from there.

Code, documentation and GIS Manager GUI entries will be fully
integrated into the user's GRASS system.

This is even possible without running GRASS and with extension
stored in a web URL (http or ftp).

You can find more information in the latest GRASS newsletter and
the README file in the gem tarball, that also also contains a
binary for Linux GLIBC 2.3 systems. I hope to be able to
include binaries for MacOS X and Windows (CygWin) in the future.
There is no further information on my German homepage. Just check
the download links.

Best,

Benjamin