[GRASSLIST:7686] HOW to deal with polygons (ESRI shp's again)

Dave Sampson gis at watersheds.ca
Fri Jul 22 14:58:03 EDT 2005

When importing ESRI shape (shp) files are there primary steps you should
take before even thinking of importing them. I feel as though things
just are not working, what am I missing? What doc or man page did I miss?

I have been battling shape files all week. All of the bellow do not
occur each time, but these are challenges I have been facing.

* I have to use OGR at the command line to change projections
(GRASSLIST#7683)
* similar projections don't line up in GRASS like they did in ARCVIEW
* I loose chunks of data (missing polygons) (GRASSLIST#7685)
* SHX files become "currupt"
* PROJ files when present are not read corectly or at all
* Area information is lost and random warnings appear

Is there a script you can run on a SHP file to see if anything BAD will
happen to it before trying to bring it into GRASS and messing things up?

Cheers

P.S Thanks for your ongoing patience and expertise.

|Dave Sampson: Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician	|
|Centre for Sustainable Watersheds				|
|Cooperative Approaches to Protect Canada's Water Resources	|
|14 Water St, P.O Box 280. Portland Ontario, Canada. K0G 1V0	|
|Lat: 44.700	Long: -76.19					|
|www.watersheds.ca		gis at watersheds.ca		|