[GRASSLIST:7734] operations on subsets of data in database

Jason Horn jhorn at bu.edu
Thu Jul 28 23:32:20 EDT 2005

I figured out how to set up attribute data for a point layer in a
mysql database.  Very handy because I can now select points for
display based on attributes (population > n, type like "whatever",
etc.)  However, now I want to perform operations on those data based
on the same select criteria.  For example, I want to create buffer
vector layer from just some of the points in that point layer.  There
does not appear to be any way to do this in GRASS.   I would have to
create a copy of the layer or a new layer that contains a subset of
the points.  This seems like such a obviously useful feature that if
there is no way to currently do this, I'd like to suggest that it be
considered in GRASS's development.  After all, what's point in having
the wonderful capability of selecting geometry with a database query
if all you can do with it is display it?

Just my 2 cents.

Jason Horn
Boston University Department of Biology
5 Cumington Street  Boston, MA 02215