[GRASSLIST:7072] Re: GRASS 6.0.0 startup problems

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 23:33:07 EDT 2005

> I am a first time GRASS user, and have very little GIS experience.  I
> installed
>
> GRASS 6.0.0 on my Linux (Fedora Core 3) machine.  I installed all the
> minimum  requirements.  I had to install it without postgresql, as
> GRASS couldn't find  the libraries.  Other than than, I istalled gdal,
> tcl/tk, Mesa-3.x, fftw,  libtiff, mysql, unixODBC, lesstif, R language
> and Freetype2.  I downloaded the  spearfish mapset, and I am trying to
> open it.  The following error is given:   GRASS 6.0.0
> (spearfish60):/usr/local/grass-6.0.0/bin.i686-pc-linux-gnu > Error
> in startup script: ps.map: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgdal.so.1:  cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

FC3 RPMs for GDAL:  (instructions from Craig Aumann)

----

To install GRASS, you will likely also need to install the following
RPMS:

- fftw-2.1.5-5.i386.rpm (version >= 2.1) available at
http://www.rpmfind.net (I believe it is also part of Fedora 3 Extras
for i386).

and the following, all available at
http://mappinghacks.com/rpm/fedora/3/

- gdal-1.2.5-mh3.i686.rpm
- proj-4.4.9-mh2.i686.rpm
- geos-2.1.1-mh2.i686.rpm
- ogdi-3.1.1-mh1.i686.rpm

The gdal package does require a number of libraries included with
PostreSQL.  Perhaps the easiest way to satisfy these requirements is
to add the application PostgreSQL via Add/Remove Applications under
the Applications->System Settings menu. The GRASS RPM is compiled with
full database support for ODBC, MYSQL and PostgreSQL; however, to use
these databases with GRASS they will need to be installed on your
system. MySQL can be installed using Add/Remove Applications as well.
Note that fully installing PostgreSQL requires further setup beyond
that done by via the automated Add/Removing Applications. See the
PostgreSQL website for instructions. This is only necessary if you
want to use PostgreSQL with GRASS.

----

Hamish