[GRASSLIST:7174] Re: Gettting off the ground with v.surf.rst

Andrew Danner adanner at cs.duke.edu
Wed Jun 15 15:41:44 EDT 2005

Tom,

 Some of your parameters seem a bit odd, mainly dmin, segmax, and npmin
seem way too high. What is your grid resolution from g.region -p?
Typically dmin is set to be 1/2 of the grid resolution so if you want a
20 meter resolution surface, try a dmin of 10. Decreasing dmin typically
increases the number of points used for the interpolation. Since your
dmin is high and your point count is low, I would look into adjusting
dmin first.

 Once you fix that though, you may find that the interpolation step
takes forever, mostly because segmax and npmin are set quite high as
well. For LIDAR data from NCfloodmaps or LDART I typically use npmin=100
and segmax=20. The running time of the interpolation is roughly
proportional to (n/segmax)*npmin^3, so cutting both npmin and segmax in
half makes the program run about 4 times faster.

 See if that helps.

-Andy