[GRASSLIST:7358] Re: can't start GRASS 6.1 CVS (error in d.m)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 02:03:54 EDT 2005

> > can you edit $GISBASE/etc/Init.sh and comment out the two "tput clear"
> > lines by adding a '#' to the start of line? That will stop the clearing
> > of the screen so if there is an error message you can see it.
..
> So i did, still nothing.. here goes the output...
>
> All myy locations and mapsets are valid (I was using then a week
> ago!), I even tried to create a new location, but got the same
> result...
>
> Carlos
>
> Welcome to GRASS 6.1.cvs (2005)
> GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
> This version running thru:               shell ()
> Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
> See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
> Start the graphical user interface with: d.m &
> When ready to quit enter:                exit
> : Command not found
> Closing monitors.....
> Cleaning up temporary files.....
> done
>

> Goodbye from GRASS GIS

Ok. Two clues there:

> This version running thru:               shell ()
and
> : Command not found

 ** Do you have $SHELL set to anything?

in Init.sh it does this:
# ...
 sh=`basename "$SHELL"`
# ...
echo "This version running thru:               $shellname ($SHELL)"
# ...
echo "When ready to quit enter:                exit"
case "$sh" in
csh|tcsh)
   # do stuff
    ;;
bash)
   # do stuff
    ;;
cygwin)
   # do stuff
    ;;
*) #otherwise
   # do stuff
    "$ETC/run" "$SHELL"
    ;;
esac
#...
echo "Closing monitors....."

If $SHELL doesn't exist, then there's nothing to run in the $ETC/run
step.

I reckon that's it. try this before starting grass:

export SHELL=bash

You'll get this error in any version of GRASS from the last 5 years.

Hamish