[GRASSLIST:5952] Re: Conversion from points to lines?

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Tue Mar 1 12:32:17 EST 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 07:49 am, Patton, Eric wrote:
> Hey,
>

> Is it possible to convert vector points to lines in Grass 6.0? v.type
> complained that points to lines are incompatible types. Do I have to do a
> multi-step conversion from points -> centroids -> something else -> lines
> instead?

Hi,

Well I have done it in the past with:

v.out.ascii in=point_vector out=points.ascii
awk '{some awk script here}' points.ascii > lines.ascii
v.in.ascii in=lines.ascii out=lines_vector

the output from v.out.ascii in=points_vector will look like:
0258468 4090205
0258462 4090196
0258454 4090172
0258449 4090158

...and you can use AWK to convert it into an ascii line format like:
L 2
0258468 4090205
0258462 4090196
L 2
0258462 4090196
0258454 4090172
L 2
0258454 4090172
0258449 4090158

...save the output, and load it back into grass with v.in.ascii

I had the AWK script somewhere, and now can't find it...sorry.

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Science Graduate Group