[GRASSLIST:5961] Re: A simple method to start GRASS with a new language

Lorenzo Moretti lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
Wed Mar 2 05:00:51 EST 2005

Hi Hamish

>  >
>>  At the beginning (row 23) before trap command add one row (in this
>>  example de language)
>>
>>  export LANG=de_DE
>>
>>  Substitute de_DE with your language (cs_CS, es_ES, fr_FR, it_IT,
>>  etc..)
>>
>>  after save and start Grass.
>>
>>  In future will be possible to translate Michael Barton' GIS Manager
>>  (d.m.tcl and menu.tcl) with an if for the choice.
>

>Isn't it easier/better to put this in ~/.grass.bashrc or ~/.grass.cshrc?
>
>Or does that not work?
>
>Hamish

I think that grass60 file is more easy to find for many users versus
an invisible file like .grass.bashrc or .grassrc6... but all is
possible.
This variable would be enter automatically analyzing in Init.sh file
a global preferences file: the user start GRASS with the language
equal to his system language setting: it's more transparent.

Now with the i18n translation Grass 6 goes to the all users but the
i18n is limited to commands and lib message. I want to add the GIS
Manager translation. The folder is etc/dm with more than 10 files
.tcl.

What is the best method?

These are ASCII files.
I've tried an if statment in /scripts/d.m file.
After it opens d.m_language.tcl file and it start with new translated
menu (example):

if [ "$LANG" = "it_IT" ] ; then
exec "$GRASS_WISH" "$GISBASE/etc/dm/d.m_it.tcl" "$GIS_OPT_dmrc"
else
exec "$GRASS_WISH" "$GISBASE/etc/dm/d.m.tcl" "$GIS_OPT_dmrc"
fi

But there is locale folder: is it better to open a locale folder like this?

exec "$GRASS_WISH" "$GISBASE/locale/$LANGUAGE/dm/d.m.tcl" "$GIS_OPT_dmrc"

Any language has (example):

locale
     |__ it
          |__ LC_MESSAGES
          |__ dm

It's a big work but the new GIS Manager is very good (thank Michael)
and I think that with i18n commands translation GRASS 6 is more easy.

Or a method more simple.

What do you think?

Bye

||      Lorenzo Moretti        e-mail: lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
||/|/|  ENEA prot/idr          Web: http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/
||   |  via Don Fiammelli, 2   FTP: ftp://ftpamb.bologna.enea.it/ (ris.)
~~~~~~  40128 BOLOGNA - ITALY  Ph: +39-0516098086  Fax: +39-0516098131