[GRASSLIST:5970] Re: speeding up v.in.ogr

Lorenzo Moretti lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
Wed Mar 2 08:24:33 EST 2005

Hi Chris

>I have been trying to import a detailed shapefile of the florida coast
>(about 24M) into grass6.0b2, using v.in.ogr. Unfortunately, having
>started 3 days ago, the import has not yet completed. It is making
>progress, as the number of intersections is incrementing, however this
>surely should not be taking quite this long. Are there ways of
>speeding up the process?
>
>I am on a 1GHz OS X Powerbook with 1GB RAM.
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

The problem is in that shape in OS X version. Some shape files are
not good in grass in OS X.

Open it before with another sw: QGIS, Thuban or Jump and see about
problems (in areas, lines, etc.)

In grass 6
Try:
- v.in.ogr with "Do not clean polygons" selected
then
- v.clean

It's not speed problem: I have imported a 60 MB shape file in few
minutes in my PB 1GHz.

Bye

||      Lorenzo Moretti        e-mail: lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
||/|/|  ENEA prot/idr          Web: http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/
||   |  via Don Fiammelli, 2   FTP: ftp://ftpamb.bologna.enea.it/ (ris.)
~~~~~~  40128 BOLOGNA - ITALY  Ph: +39-0516098086  Fax: +39-0516098131