[GRASSLIST:5973] Re: speeding up v.in.ogr

Lorenzo Moretti lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
Wed Mar 2 10:01:43 EST 2005

Hi Radim

>>>I am on a 1GHz OS X Powerbook with 1GB RAM.
>
>Is it one or few big shapes or many small?
>
>>The problem is in that shape in OS X version. Some shape files are
>>not good in grass in OS X.
>>
>>Open it before with another sw: QGIS, Thuban or Jump and see about
>>problems (in areas, lines, etc.)
>>
>>In grass 6
>>Try:
>>- v.in.ogr with "Do not clean polygons" selected
>>then
>>- v.clean
>
>This is not correct. I have already written that here.
>For areas v.in.ogr -c + v.clean != v.in.ogr.
>
>Radim

This method is not beatiful but it forces to import (v.in.ogr -c)
some shape (very few) with problem under Mac OSX: v.in.ogr goes to
infinite loop.
This problem is very very random: small or big shapes are imported
very well but some shape files have problem under OSX. It's difficult
to make a complete debug because v.in.ogr goes to loop and it write
always. I had only 1 file with this problem and no problem with other.

Bye

||      Lorenzo Moretti        e-mail: lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
||/|/|  ENEA prot/idr          Web: http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/
||   |  via Don Fiammelli, 2   FTP: ftp://ftpamb.bologna.enea.it/ (ris.)
~~~~~~  40128 BOLOGNA - ITALY  Ph: +39-0516098086  Fax: +39-0516098131