[GRASSLIST:6128] Re: Problems with r.le.pixel !?

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Mar 11 13:16:34 EST 2005

Hello Sander,

On Friday 11 March 2005 06:32, Sander Oom wrote:
> The output map still does not make sense thought, and IMHO it is wrong.

hmm, hard to tell where the problem lies - have you tried to compute b1,d1
etc. as well (as far as I understood r.le.pixel it does not take longer to
compute more indices) -- just to check if the senseless pattern persists.

> A moving window analysis calculates a statistic for a certain window,
> puts the value of the statistic in the center cell of the window and
> then moves on cell up. Then the whole process repeats.

I think you understood it right but just to check, the calculated statistics
for the window is put into the corresponding centre cell of a new (!) raster
images, the values in the base image never change.

> Thus the resulting map should show gradual changes in the statistic, as
> the moving window moved across the map. As the window moves a cell each
> time, the statistic is slightly changed by a new row of cells included
> in the window. This has to go gradually and should not show sharp edge!!

yes, but if your base image has sharp edges it will result in sharp dominance
edges as well. As far as I can just your landcover.png it is classified and
hence there might be sharp edges.

> Running r.le.pixel on a slightly larger map showed dominance values in
> NODATA areas of the original map. Another tell tale sign something is
> wrong.

this sounds like a problem which I encountered before, I discussed it with
Baker (the author of r.le) and send him a few error logs/images, but I
haven't traced this problem anymore since then.

> The ultimate aim is to run the moving window and then rescale to a
> larger cell size. The larger cell size used is the same as the moving
> window size!

Why you want to do that? The pixel value holds already the statistics of the
larger cell size. If you rescale the cell size than you include values of a
even larger area due to the moving window size.

hope I understood you right and could help at least a bit, cheers, Martin

--
Martin Wegmann

DLR - German Aerospace Center
German Remote Sensing Data Center