[GRASSLIST:6156] Re: r.in.gdal and HDF import

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Mar 14 09:49:16 EST 2005

In fact NO version of gdal is PROVIDED with GRASS. If you compile GRASS, you
need to first compile gdal. At that point, you can include HDF support in
gdal. That is, r.in.aster won't work if gdal is not compiled with HDF
support.

What you are probably referring to are the gdal binaries provided with a set
of cygwin-compatible binaries. These are done by volunteers who maintain
binaries for different platforms. Windows has been particularly problematic
because 1) Windows is somewhat more complicated by needing Cygwin and 2)
relatively few GRASS users use it on Windows (this is a catch-22 situation;
if it were easier to use on Windows, more Windows folks would use it, hence
more Windows-savvy developers working on it).

Very recently, Huidae Cho has made enormous improvements in the way that the
Windows version is installed. This should help boost GRASS use for Windows.
He very recently (in the past couple days) upgraded gdal support. Please try
this out and see if the new version includes HDF support (see post by Hamish
to check this). If it does not, you can probably email Huidae and request
it. Check out his website for Windows GRASS (access from main GRASS download
site).

Cheers
Michael
PO Box 872402