[GRASSLIST:6227] GDAL install problems

David Kramer davidk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:47:42 EST 2005

I'm trying to install GRASS 6.0 from the tarball. It seems to require
GDAL, which I don't need. I can't install GDAL, due to problems with
that distro, so I'd like to have GRASS not use GDAL. I pass
with-gdal=no into configure, but I get this:

checking whether to use GDAL... no
checking for GDALOpen... no
checking for GDALOpen... no
configure: error: *** Unable to locate GDAL library.

Why does it want the GDAL library when it knows that it should not use
GDAL? Any suggestions for hacks to get around this?

Thx
David

P.S. If whoever maintains the GRASS mailing list home page is
listening, the links off of it are pretty broken. For example, the
using the search field gives an internal server error, the Google
links pass you off to Google's regular homepage, and not a search of
GRASS-Help etc.