[GRASSLIST:6284] GPS points off by about 120m to the west

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Wed Mar 30 02:27:40 EST 2005

Greetings!

after retrieving some waypoints from my Garmin 12 GPS, i noticed that when
imported into GRASS, they were offset by about 120 meters to the west....!

here is a picture of the bad (red) points, and corrected (blue) points:
http://basho/~dylan/temp/bad_gps.png

i am nearly positive that the data in GRASS is good: in NAD83/WGS80 UTM zone
10N projection.

the GPS was set for the same projection parameters...

any ideas on what could have caused this 120meter shift to the west?

could my GPS really be in a NAD27 datum, and still be reporting NAD83 ?

any ideas? .

thanks in advance!

--
Dylan Beaudette