[GRASSLIST:6767] v.in.ascii troubles (Grass 6.0.0 on OSX - binaries from ASU)

Graham Watt-Gremm sunyata at uvic.ca
Thu May 12 18:16:04 EDT 2005

Hello all,
I have been grappling with importing a simple ascii x,y,z utm coordinates
file using v.in.ascii. I have tried all delimiters (, | tab), have run a
mac2unix script on the file, and have even tried converting it to dbf and
placing it in the dbf folder (though the documentation on this is
incomplete). In each of the cases (other than dbf) I received either

v.in.ascii input=/grassdata/zone12.txt output=z12txt1 format=point x=1 y=2
z=0 cat=0
Maximum input row length: 0
Maximum number of columns: 0
Minimum number of columns: -1

x column number > minimum last column number

Or created a map but with errors and unreadable:

v.in.ascii input=/grassdata/zone12.txt output=z12txt format=standard x=1 y=2
z=0 cat=0
Error reading ascii file:
385    5437031
290562    5440684
287381    5437033
287381    5437033
283465    5438841
287370    5437037
287381    5437033
Building topology ...
Registering lines:
0 primitives registered
Building areas:
0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands:
Attaching centroids: Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   0
Number of primitives:   0
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   0
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   0
Number of isles     :   0

Would love anyone's advice on this...
Graham Watt-Gremm
University of Victoria School of Enviromental Studies

Here is a sample of what I am working with

287361,5437037,1297
287325,5437040,1322
287071,5436724,1228
287071,5436724,1228