[GRASSLIST:6813] Re: GRASS on HP ProLiant ML570

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 01:33:17 EDT 2005

> I tried to install GRASS 6.1 from source on our HP ProLiant ML570
> (4x64bit  Intel Xenion, SuSE Enterprise 8.0) and failed completely.

can you elaborate? What "failed completely"? (exact cut & paste error
messages please)

It will only get supported if we know where it fails and what needs to
be fixed.

GRASS will not do multi-thread internally, but it will work on SMP just
fine, one process at a time.

> My guess is that SuSE Enterprise 8.0 is not suitable for scientific
> purpose.

I would think that OS would be fine. The problem is much more likely to
be the 64bit-ness vs. SuSE-ness. More and more people are using 64bit
so any 64bit problems are of interest...

Did you try with optimization flags turned off?

Hamish