[GRASSLIST:6847] Re: Fwd: Re: GRASS on HP ProLiant ML570 (solved)

Brent Wood b.wood at niwa.co.nz
Sun May 22 16:11:47 EDT 2005

> If you want QGIS, you need 3.1 or (much better) a later Qt version.
>
> > SuSE 9.0 and > 9.0 supports intel 64bit and has QT > 3.1.
>
> Does anyone know how other distros perform for 64bit?

I had major problems with SuSE 9.2, Mandrake 10.1 and FC3 with SATA driver
issues. Some couldn't find the SATA disks at all, others tried to install
but couldn't boot. All were giving various errors with SATA support. All
worked fine with PATA drives, however.

(Shuttle socket 739 PC, software RAID1 & RAID0 partitions on 2x drives)

Several other local Linux users had similar problems. Ubuntu worked fine
out of the box, so my A64 GIS workstation is currently running that. No
problems with performance (subjective feel of how it performs only).

My distro preference is Mandrake(Mandriva) or SuSE though, so I'm hoping
to throw SuSE 9.3 and LinGIS at the box after the June OS GIS conference
in Minneapolis. (Perhaps with a new BIOS and new dual core cpu ??? :-)

Brent Wood