[GRASSLIST:6859] Re: Advice for a GRASS newbie

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon May 23 12:16:46 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 04:17:42PM -0700, Paul A. Levine wrote:
[...]
> I am a new GRASS user who is attempting to learn the program so I can
> use it for my master's thesis in hydrology. I purchased the second
> edition of "Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS Approach " by M. Neteler and
> H. Mitasova, which was recommended to me as THE definitive
> GRASS-learning guide.
>
> Unfortunately, the book was written for GRASS 5.3, and very early on in
> one of the tutorials, I came across a command that has become obsolete
> in GRASS 6 (the d.sites command, directed on page 30 of the book, which
> I now understand has been replaced by new functionality of d.vect).

[...]

We have now almost completed the "GRASS 6 conversion table" for our book.
It shows the relevant changes needed to use the book (2nd edition 2004)
with GRASS 6.

The table is found here:

 http://mpa.itc.it/grasstutor/grass6/

The table is long, but contain lots of replications (for your
convenience). Still missing is the R-stats interface which is
currently undergoing significant changes. We'll add that as
soon as possible.

Best regards

 Markus

--