[GRASSLIST:6868] crop of raster, size of raster

Axel Orth axel_orth at gmx.de
Tue May 24 09:06:56 EDT 2005

hey list,
i just figured out that "cropping" of raster maps by the creation of a
MASK and r.mapcalc is not exactly what i really intended:
i though the resulting maps are really clipped but it looks like the
regions outside the mask are just white.

this is ok for me for one kind of rasters (have disturbing legends and
annotations) but does not work for other maps.
is there a possibility to do something else?

by doing those operations i recognized also that the size of my data
increases rapidly:
i import a 4 mb tiff (black and white) and by exporting it via
r.out.tiff its size is 514 mb.
what could be the reason for this?

regards
axel