[GRASSLIST:6915] Wishes/bug

Pedro Camilo Alcántara Concepción camilo at pcbiol.posgrado.unam.mx
Fri May 27 08:40:39 EDT 2005

Hello list

I have using GRASS 6 for a while on some projects in Mexico. During those
time I have had some experiences that made me realize some wishes and
found some bugs on it.

WISHES:

Main menu:

I believe that the first option of the GRASS GIS Manager menu must be
Workspace. and here must be included the GIS options.

Raster/ vector:

I like a more intuitive interface to choose colors, graphic if possible
(well, I believe that the console command option must be usable too). Some
people found hard to thing on RGB tables if they like a new color. May be
something like the GIMP interface to pick colors would work fine.

Digitizing a new vector layer:

I believe that is a bad idea to share databases for boundaries and areas,
it is confusing for the users and at the end it could carry some mistakes
converting from raster to vector formats (maybe with a new option on the
r.to.vect command that use only the area label or boundaries instead of
reading both).

On the contrary, I suggest to use the same code or share the same window
between the digitizing interface and the main menu, sometimes the user
tends to believe  both interfaces are zooming the same area.

It could be annoying to found an empty window when you are starting to
digitize a new map, even when you already had some maps displayed on the
GIS Manager. The Background configuration tab is really hidden inside the
settings window and it has a different interface than the main GIS
Manager.
When you start a new vector layer it's mandatory to build a table. It is
not clear for the begginers. I believe that it could be fixed asking the
first time using a popup window.
During the labeling process of a new vector layer appears a Form to fill
he fields, is really frequent that the user fill the fields, press the
"submitt" button and then choose another command(button) from the v.digit
menu, this simple action freezes the window because the user must close
the form winfow before choose a new command, it seems to be mandatory.
I guess that's a lack of some code to get the same behavoir than the use
of other commands and close the database and the form properly.

 ----
----
BUGS

---
When you use the command:
g.region -p

Current window start to stretch every time you click the right button
---
One day (I sent an e-mail to this list) I try to compile GRASS 6.03 on a
AMD 64 processor's computer using a Gentoo distibution. While compiling I
got many errors on the imagery modules. After several attempts, I found
that the problem was the fftw libraries, even when it was configured to
use with and without the -aPIC flags, grass didn compile well until i
recompile the fftw with the strict use of -aPIC option. I guess that the
modules in grass are lacking for some internal flag to switch the library.
At the end GRASS compiled without any problem.

Best regards
 --
Pedro Camilo Alcántara Concepción