[GRASSLIST:6934] Fwd: Shpdump and shpcreate (WAS:Converting shapefiles from wrong coordinates)

Paulo Marcondes paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Sat May 28 19:55:11 EDT 2005

Hello, just updating the issue with the wrongly made shapefile from Brazil...

I did v.external, to load the shapefile in error, and v.info returned:
 Projection: Latitude-Longitude (zone 0)
N: 557631.800    S: -3376510.000
E: 2158469.900     W: -2093886.400
B: 0.000         T: 0.000

I am assuming this were supposed to be degrees (lat-lon) in the range
[5,-33]N [21,-21]E, so they are off by a factor of 10^5.
I've just put the linux box up again, after a few glitches.

I shpdump'ed the shapefile, as per your suggestion. It was quite easy.
Right now I am putting together a Python script to resize the shapes
and then shpcreate, I think. Probalbly this is no the fastest, because
my average coding speed is around 10 lines/hour... I spent the whole
day just to get 90 lines with many comments. I'm not wastingtime,
though, because I wanted to learn python anyway, so this is being
useful.

Up to now I managed to read the whole file and did the math. But I
don't quite know how to reassemble the file.

I've seen man shpcreate, but I am not quite sure how to work with it,
maybe Frank can help on this. I would like to reverse shpdump, I mean,
take the edited shpdumped file and reassemble a shapelfile, would this
be possible??

thanks
--
Paulo Marcondes