[GRASSLIST:6964] Ellipsoid definition

Luca Penasa luca.penasa at email.it
Tue May 31 16:01:01 EDT 2005

Listing the various ellipsoids this is what i see:

rd18    Amersfoort
                        (bessel ellipsoid)
---
rome40  Monte_Mario
                        (international ellipsoid)
---
S-42    Pulkovo_1942
                        (krassovsky ellipsoid)

I cant understand whats the meaning for the ellipsoid into the brackets.
Like (international ellipsoid) near to rome40  Monte_Mario. I know that
the rome40 ellipsoid is based on the international one, but i cant
understand why have I to specify at this point that im going to use the
rome40 ellipsoid, when after i'll have to specify the towgs84 parameter.
why grass need this two different definitions? and... how grass built
the rome40 ellipsoid from the international one?

 Sponsor:
 Prestiti Online. Scopri subito se sei finanziabile. in 24 ore senza spese né anticipi, clicca qui
*
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2908&d=31-5