[GRASSLIST:8914] Re: Off Topic (Somewhat): Most commonly supported Linux Distro for Gr ass usage?

Māris Nartišs maris.nartiss at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 07:20:37 EST 2005

Hi,

if You can, do NOT use VMWare on windows to run Linux. I'm running
Linux on VMWare on Windows and it is not a pleasure. From windows
Linux gets all win problems - lockups on high disk load etc. You will
get bad impression about Linux, so better run pure Linux or even
VMWare/Wine inside Linux for Windows ;)

NTFS is safe writable *if you don't change original file size*! You
will not be able to create new files or append to old ones. NTFS is
safe readable  - You can mount win disk and read all files and create
small FAT32 partition for data exchange with windows.

I want to thank Ed Davison for all good words about GRASS on Gentoo.
Yeah, that was me, who initially brought GRASS 5.7 with all its
requirements to Gentoo :)

<flamme> If we talk about distributions - first set your priorities -
to learn GNU/Linux or to be dumb user. If You want to learn GNU/Linux,
I suggest some "hard" distros - Slackware, Gentoo. Its damn hard in
beginning, but then in GNU/Linux you feel like fish in water. If You
want to be simple user - K/Ubuntu (Debian based). If Debian packages
are too old - you can always fetch fresh CVS version and compile
yourself. </flamme>

Sorry for my verbal flood.
WBR
Maris.