[GRASSLIST:9051] Re: ArcView vs GRASS

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 14 07:30:14 EST 2005

Dear GRASS Community:

This discussion is far too interesting to pass making some comments.
First off, I could not agree more with most (if not all) comments. The
price/performance comparison alone makes GRASS the easy winner and the
user support is outrageously good. I work for aU.S. federal agency and
admittedly the GRASS community is small by comparison to ESRI. That's an
irony, of course, since GRASS was developed by the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers. What is also ironic is that there is a strong analogy between
ESRI/GRASS and the MS-Windows/Intel versus Apple Macintosh/Linux world —
but with an interesting twist. The reason many have identified for the
groundswell of GIS users using ESRI software is ease of use with the GUI
which purportedly is not available with GRASS. Some comments have shown
this is not quite the case.

The lack of cross-platform support with ESRI software is a huge issue
with many and has caused significant problems in my agency due to the
fact that our real-time operational environment is Linux; we would like
to have GIS intimately intertwined with our operational environment at
each workstation (having multiple monitors) but this really crowds the
desktop space not to mention that one would have to use simultaneously a
MS-Windows environment on one computer and Linux on the other — what a
mess!! So, I have been gently pushing GRASS when the opportunity
presents itself.

For much of what we do at U.S. National Weather Service (NWS) River
Forecast Centers involves handling large amounts of GIS data
repetitively. This means that scripts must be used to handle the
analysis of these data. It is quite easy in GRASS to write simple shell,
Perl, or whatever scripts to handle the data analysis requirements we have.

I should also add the importance of GRASS/QGIS interoperability and
interoperability with R, gstat, GMT, etc. Combined, these make an
incredibly powerful GIS environment that easily rivals the ESRI world.
ESRI still holds the marketing edge with the perception of creating
stunning maps, which captures the attention of end-users. Probably a
stronger tie between GMT and GRASS would help.

GRASS rocks!

--
Thomas E Adams
National Weather Service