[GRASSLIST:9071] Re: ArcView vs GRASS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 03:02:33 EST 2005

> Our cartography standards consist of a 64-page pdf document
> specifying the EXACT placement of cartographic elements, point sizes
> of fonts, etc, and implementing these protocols for even one A-series
> map (one of our standard production maps) in ps.map would be a
> nightmare.

Yes, but you only need to do it that one time!

>From my perspective it would be *much* simpler to get things consistently
right in an auto-gen ps.map script versus a 20 minute point and click
journey every time you make a new map.

It's like LaTeX vs. Word. Or using GRI (/Matlab script) vs. Excel for
graphing.

I accept that most ps.map elements should be able to take absolute page
coordinates and percentage of frame for placement, and a few relevant
ones should be able to take easting,northing for placement as well.
Some do, but there is still some work to be done ...

Hamish